Published on March 12th, 2014 | by Paz1
How to get gardening supplies in Amsterdam
We have now been in Amsterdam a little over one month, and finally feel like we are settling in. I believe that it has taken us a little longer to feel like we are at home because, in the last 2 months we have moved almost 7 times. I will post more about that later, but for now I am fast forwarding from our life in Mexico to our life in Amsterdam. There was so much in between that I didn’t have a chance to really write.
Now that we have a home and have bought a bakfiet (our bike with a bucket on the front) it is time to begin our garden. I swore that if we ever settled down again that we would have a garden. Since we live on the second story in a 900 sq ft. apartment, it has given me the opportunity to get creative with our gardening. I have to admit, there are tons of cute pots and gardening tools specifically made for apartment gardens. So much fun!!
Our first big trip out on the bakfiet was to get some flowers, seedlings, and soil. Now that we had bought this monster of a bike, it was time to put it to some good use.
How to Get Gardening Supplies in Amsterdam
1. Google map your destination before you leave your house. (using your own wifi) Google maps will continue to track your route even though you don’t have internet connection while you are out on the road. Brilliant!
2. Think about your space and what you want to start with. The beauty of limited transportation is that everything is an intentional purchase.
3. Get there….not always as easy as it seems.
4. Pick up your necessary items, and take note of all the things you never even knew existed. We found some very cool bird houses that I hope we will return for soon.
5. Strategically pack your bakfiet so you can fit both gardening items and children. Yup, you can’t leave your kids there. Remember the space under the seat. I put our soil there.
I believe in equal labor opportunity, so our kids always get the opportunity to work.
6. Get ready for a rough ride home. You are now biking another 40 lbs most likely.
The view from the inside.
I was very happy and a bit tired after our first trip to our local garden supply store. It was about 4.5 kilometers from our house and although Google maps said it would take 17 minutes, it was almost 30. What can I say, we don’t bike fast.
I did have them carry all the plants from the street up 3 flights of stairs. They need to get tired out some way!!
All in all it was a great experience and I am so happy with our bakfiet. I am also delighted that we can now start growing some veggies and flowers. We also have started our own compost pile! So far our dill is sprouting up, and our compost is going well too.